Hive >> mail # user >> ROW_NUMBER() equivalent in Hive

+
kumar mr 2013-02-21, 07:33
+
Owen OMalley 2013-02-21, 16:08
Re: ROW_NUMBER() equivalent in Hive
Kumar,

If you are willing to be on bleeding edge, this and many other partitioning
and windowing functionality some of us are developing in a branch over at:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hive/branches/ptf-windowing
Check out this branch, build hive and than you can have row_number()
functionality. Look in
ql/src/test/queries/clientpositive/ptf_general_queries.q which has about 60
or so example queries demonstrating various capabilities which we have
already working (including row_number).
We hope to have this branch merged in trunk soon.

Hope it helps,
Ashutosh
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 11:33 PM, kumar mr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  This is Kumar, and this is my first question in this group.
>
>  I have a requirement to implement ROW_NUMBER() from Teradata in Hive
> where partitioning happens on multiple columns along with multiple column
> ordering.
> It can be easily implemented in Hadoop MR, but I have to do in Hive. By
> doing in UDF can assign same rank to grouping key considering dataset is
> small, but ordering need to be done in prior step.
> Can we do this in lot simpler way?
>
>  Thanks in advance.
>
>  Regards,
> Kumar