HBase, mail # user - HBase cluster over multiple EC2 Availability Zones?

+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-05-06, 17:37
+
Amandeep Khurana 2013-05-06, 17:41
+
Otis Gospodnetic 2013-05-06, 17:58
Re: HBase cluster over multiple EC2 Availability Zones?
Amandeep Khurana 2013-05-06, 18:00
I was referring to this: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/#DataTransfer

Amazon EC2, Amazon RDS or Amazon ElastiCache instances, Amazon Elastic Load
Balancing, or Elastic Network Interfaces in another Availability Zone in
the same AWS Region
$0.01 per GB

The cost to transfer across AZs is lower than across regions but you still
pay.

On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Actually, cross-AZ traffic is actually free.  It's cross-Region
> traffic that's not free.  I realize the cross-AZ (translates to
> cross-DC) traffic will be slower, but I wonder if there are any HBase
> (or HDFS)-specific reasons why one should not attempt to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Otis
> --
> Search Analytics - http://sematext.com/search-analytics/index.html
> HBASE Performance Monitoring - http://sematext.com/spm/index.html
>

> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Amandeep Khurana <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've not come across anyone spanning clusters cross AZ. You pay for cross
> > AZ traffic and the link is slower than within a single AZ.
> >
> > Amandeep
> >

> > On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do people spread HBase clusters over multiple EC2 Availability Zones,
> >> or is that a big no-no?  Cross-AZ communication is supposedly going
> >> over fast fiber optic cables.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Otis
> >> --