HBase, mail # user - HBase 0.94 security configurations

+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 04:15
+
Jimmy Xiang 2012-12-18, 04:25
+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 04:47
+
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-18, 08:19
+
Bob Futrelle 2012-12-18, 18:15
Re: HBase 0.94 security configurations
Nick Dimiduk 2012-12-18, 18:26
Glad to hear you're making progress. Can you provide more information about
your environment? Are you running a released version of HBase or from a
checkout of trunk? How did you install HBase -- or are you running from the
tgz? How do you have the HBase dependencies specified for your Java
application? Are you following along some getting started tutorial or
exploring the APIs on your own?

I'm a bit confused by the mixed approach in which I start HBase from the
> command line and then execute Java code.  How do the two come together?
Even when using local/development mode, the HBase process needs to be
running. the start-hbase.sh script launches the HBase processes according
to your configuration. HBase ships with a reasonable default configuration,
so you don't have to do any configuration and things should "just work".
Your application code communicates with the HBase services using the client
library. In this case, it's all encapsulated by the HBaseAdmin class.
Again, the client figures out how to locate the HBase processes via
configuration and again, the default configurations are sane.

Why don't you start a little simpler. Start HBase and then try to create
your table from the shell (`./bin/hbase shell`). Once you know your local
HBase deployment is working from the shell, then you can move on to writing
Java code.

Best of luck!
-n

+