Pig, mail # dev - Our release process

+
Olga Natkovich 2012-11-02, 22:58
+
Alan Gates 2012-11-03, 03:19
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-11-03, 17:20
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-11-05, 01:17
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-11-05, 18:37
+
Olga Natkovich 2012-11-05, 18:48
+
Gianmarco De Francisci Mo... 2012-11-05, 19:34
+
Jonathan Coveney 2012-11-06, 00:53
Re: Our release process
Alan Gates 2012-11-06, 02:12
Jonathan, for clarity, are you saying you agree that we should only put bug fixes in branches or we should only put high priority bug fixes in branches?  I think we all agree on the former, but there appear to be different views on the latter.

Alan.

On Nov 5, 2012, at 4:53 PM, Jonathan Coveney wrote:

> This seems to make sense to me. People can always back-port features, and
> this encourages them to use the newer ones. It also means we will be more
> rigorous about stability, which is good as it is a big plus for Pig. I
> think for older branches, stability trumps features in a big way.
>

> 2012/11/5 Gianmarco De Francisci Morales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Olga Natkovich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi Gianmarco,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your comments. Here is a little more information.
>>>
>>> At Yahoo, we consider the following issues to be P1:
>>>
>>> (1) Bugs that cause wrong results being produced silently
>>> (2) Bugs that cause failures with no easy workaround
>>>

>> Thanks Olga, now I get what you mean.
>> I don't have a strong opinion on this.
>> On one hand I see why you don't want to put too many patches in the
>> branches in order to keep things stable.
>> On the other hand when we do a 0.10.x release with x>0 the users would
>> like to have as many bugs fixed as possible.
>>
>>> Regarding tests. I would suggest we have different rules for trunk and
>> branches:
>>>
>>> (1) For branches, I think we should run the full regression suite
>> (including e2e) prior to commit. This way we can ensure branch stability
>> and, as number of patches should be small, will not be a burden
>>> (2) For trunk, we can go with test-commit only and fix things quickly
>> when things break.
>>
>> I think this makes sense. +1
>>
>>> Olga
>>
>> Cheers,