HBase, mail # user - max HStoreFile size

max HStoreFile size
Amit Sela 2014-01-22, 17:25
Hi all, I'm using HBase 0.94.12 and in some tables I'm managing splitting
and compactions manually.

I was wondering if hbase.hregion.max.filesize relates to compressed or
uncompressed file size.
If I'm using compression, and the file size < hbase.hregion.max.filesize
but uncompressed it's bigger, than when executing major compaction on the
region, it splits.

Should it be like that ? more important, the recommendation of regions of
1GB is for compressed or uncompressed StoreFile size?

Since I'm using bulk load, I get about 3 StoreFiles loaded into each CF of
every new region, I executed region compaction to unite them as 1 file (and
then got the unwanted splits) - If I'm never updating this data, do I gain
something from uniting the files ?
Could I manage ~500MB of compressed (GZ - decompresses to about 7.5GB) with
10GB RAM RegionServers ?

Thanks,

Amit.