Hadoop >> mail # general >> Unclear Hadoop 2.1X documentation

Unclear Hadoop 2.1X documentation
Hello,

I'm new to Hadoop and i want to learn it in order to do a project.
I'v started reading the documentation at this site:

http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.1.0-beta/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/SingleCluster.html

for setting a single node, but i could not figure a lot of things in these
documentation.

1."You should be able to obtain the MapReduce tarball from the release"

I could not find this tarball, where is it.

2."You will need protoc 2.5.0 installed"

what is that, there is no even a link for it or what is it

3."Assuming you have installed hadoop-common/hadoop-hdfs"

what also are these, and why you are assuming that. i have just downlaod
the hadoop-2.1.0-beta<http://ftp.itu.edu.tr/Mirror/Apache/hadoop/common/hadoop-2.1.0-beta/>and
extracted it

4. and exported *$HADOOP_COMMON_HOME*/*$HADOOP_HDFS_HOME*

!! that is strange, to where should these environment variables indicating

lastly as i know,the first step tutorial should give more details. or am i
searching the wrong side.
**
**