Pig >> mail # dev >> Pig 0.12 3 months after Pig 0.11?

+
Russell Jurney 2013-02-18, 01:29
+
Cheolsoo Park 2013-02-18, 02:22
+
Russell Jurney 2013-02-18, 03:43
Re: Pig 0.12 3 months after Pig 0.11?
I mean, I think everyone agrees in theory that more frequent releases is a
good thing...it's just a matter of getting effort behind that :) that said,
I think the first step is being a bit harsher on features that fall behind.
The biggest thing that drove back was "just one more feature, I'm almost
done." I am guilty of this :) That said, if we have more frequent releases
then that means it isn't as big of a deal if your patch slides into the
next release.
2013/2/18 Russell Jurney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> This makes sense to me, and thank you for driving it. I am going to help
> doing docs and other things in little JIRAs.
>

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Cheolsoo Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >wrote:
>
> > I don't mind driving it if everyone agrees with the time frame.
> >
> > One thing that I want to clarify is that the new AvroStorage is not
> > backward compatible[1]. In addition, there are a couple of features that
> > the new AvroStorage is missing at the moment[2].
> >
> > So I was thinking that we keep the old AvroStorage in 0.12 and remove it
> at
> > a later release. In the meantime, we can port all the missing features
> and
> > encourage users to migrate to the new AvroStorage. Since the old and new
> > AvroStorages don't have the same namespace (i.e. the new one is built-in,
> > whereas the old one is in piggybank), I don't think that there will be
> > confusion. But please let me know if you disagree with me.
> >
> > [1]
> >

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-3015?focusedCommentId=13493550&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13493550
> > [2.1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2875
> > [2.2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-2579
> >

> > On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 5:29 PM, Russell Jurney <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone up for doing a release 3-4 months after Pig 0.11, the way I
> think
> > it
> > > is 'supposed' to work? I want the new AvroStorage in my book, before it
> > > comes out in print :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Russell Jurney twitter.com/rjurney [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > datasyndrome.com
> > >

> --
> Russell Jurney twitter.com/rjurney [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> datasyndrome.com

+
Prashant Kommireddi 2013-02-18, 02:49