Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Can ZK be used for my use case?

+
Tavi 2013-09-05, 14:36
Re: Can ZK be used for my use case?
How large are your files? ZooKeeper is generally not designed for large size storage. Also, it doesn't provide guarantees of watchers being called when network outage is involved.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 5, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Tavi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have a web application who generates different types of files (at
> different version) on the server.  Those files must be transferred at 300
> clients (watchers) and, after transfer, each client must modify every file
> for his purpose.  The "client" is a simple java stand alone application
> installed on my user PC.
> Today my users must download manually their files from an FTP server and
> they must use a java library to convert their files.  Of course, I don't
> know if they do this when the file version changes, I don't have any trace
> who did it ...
>
> My idea is to use a ZK server with 300 clients, each client will be
> monitoring a specific namespace for changes (for example : client 1 will
> monitor /app1 and app2, client 2 -> app 2 only ...).  Every namespace will
> contain the name of the file, his location, his version ... When the file
> version will change, the java client will use the information to retrieve
> and to modify the file from my central FTP. "My leader" needs to know which
> user is connected and he must synchronize the downloads to avoid network
> bottlenecks.
>
> Does ZK fits in this scenario?
>
> Thanks for your time,
>  Tavi