Hive, mail # user - Accessing Table Properies from InputFormat

RE: Accessing Table Properies from InputFormat
Peter Marron 2013-05-29, 09:16
Hi,

I am a newbie and I don't want to break any layered abstractions.

I am in the situation where I want to be able to examine
the predicate in the query and if it's a filter that I recognize
then I would like to use it to cut down on the number of records
processed. In particular I would like to make sure that in such a case the records
aren't even read, so they don't need to be filtered. At the moment
I can see that by providing my own InputFormat I can arrange that
the splits that I return are filtered down to the subset that I want.
However this means that the InputFormat needs to know something
about the table to be able to parse the predicate and see if it matches
the filtering criteria. But I learn that the InputFormat doesn't have access
to the table properties. So I have a problem.

OK, the serde has access to the table properties but it's in no position
to be able to perform the filtering. By the time it sees a record it's too late.

Similarly by the time the recordReader is invoked the record has been read.

I would use a facility like indexing, but I want this to work when the query
does not perform a Map/Reduce and my understanding is that Hive will
not invoke an indexes if there is no Map/Reduce. So indexing is a non-starter.
Also there are cases where creating an index seems massive overkill for
what I am trying to achieve.

So where is the Hive hook that allows me to do what I would like to do?
Which of the layers allows me to examine the table properties and
the predicate and to (pre-)filter the records returned?

Or are you saying that what I am trying to do doesn't make sense?