HBase >> mail # dev >> HBase wire compatibility

Re: HBase wire compatibility
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Jacques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Or at a minimum, it would be nice that if
> we wanted to get access to the lower level pb objects, that modifications
> to HTable and/or supporting classes wouldn't be super complicated.

It's less a matter of complexity, and more a matter of not wanting to
expose the implementation details as part of the API. It really
restricts us when we do this -- for example, KeyValue is used in the
underlying storage all the way up through the client API, which means
it's verify difficult for us to do something like switch to an
off-heap storage for cell data, for example.

That said, the request for an easy way to build convenience APIs with
low numbers of copies makes sense

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon