MapReduce >> mail # dev >> Hadoop Tools Layout (was Re: DistCpV2 in 0.23)

+
Amareshwari Sri Ramadasu 2011-08-29, 08:43
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-08-29, 18:40
+
Amareshwari Sri Ramadasu 2011-08-30, 08:01
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2011-08-30, 12:43
+
Mithun Radhakrishnan 2011-09-06, 05:28
+
Amareshwari Sri Ramadasu 2011-09-06, 07:13
+
Arun C Murthy 2011-09-06, 07:19
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2011-09-06, 16:30
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-09-06, 17:11
+
Eli Collins 2011-09-06, 23:32
+
Allen Wittenauer 2011-09-06, 23:46
+
Eric Yang 2011-09-07, 01:38
Re: Hadoop Tools Layout (was Re: DistCpV2 in 0.23)
Eric,

Personally I'm fine either way.

Still, I fail to see why a generic/categorized tools increase/reduce the
risk of dead code and how they make more-difficult/easier the
package&deployment.

Would you please explain this?

Thanks.

Alejandro

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Eric Yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Option #2 proposed by Amareshwari, seems like a better proposal.  We don't
> want to repeat history for contrib again with hadoop-tools.  Having a
> generic module like hadoop-tools increases the risk of accumulate dead code.
>  It would be better to categorize the hdfs or mapreduce specific tools in
> their respected subcategories.  It is also easier to manage from
> package/deployment prospective.
>
> regards,
> Eric
>
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 4:32 PM, Eli Collins wrote:

> back
> module.

> >>        I'm still waiting for this answer as well.
> >>
> >>        Until such, I would be pretty much against a tools module.
>  Changing the name of the dumping ground doesn't make it any less of a
> dumping ground.
> >
> > IMO if the tools module only gets stuff like distcp that's maintained
> > then it's not contrib, if it contains all the stuff from the current
> > MR contrib then tools is just a re-labeling of contrib. Given that
> > this proposal only covers moving distcp to tools it doesn't sound like
> > contrib to me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Eli

+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2011-09-07, 13:32
+
Eric Yang 2011-09-07, 17:50
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2011-09-07, 18:18
+
Mahadev Konar 2011-09-07, 18:27
+
Milind.Bhandarkar@... 2011-09-07, 18:32
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2011-09-07, 18:35
+
Rottinghuis, Joep 2011-09-08, 03:43
+
Amareshwari Sri Ramadasu 2011-09-08, 04:33
+
Rottinghuis, Joep 2011-09-09, 05:25
+
Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli 2011-09-12, 13:47
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2011-10-18, 19:41