Zookeeper, mail # user - C API question

Re: C API question
Marshall McMullen 2013-07-31, 17:25
IMO I think this is correct behavior from zookeeper's perspective. By
marking the parameter as a const void* the C API is promising that *it*
will not modify the contents of memory referred to by the pointer. That is
absolutely the correct contract for zookeeper to make. If it were not const
then the C API would not be able to guarantee that. Moreover, as a client
building on top of the C API looking at the C API I can easily tell looking
at these functions that it is promising not not modify that data. I don't
see any problems with this.

As to the problem in your callback, that is easily solvable since you own
the memory in the callback so you know you can safely const-cast away the
const. You mentioned reinterpet_cast, so in c++ this would be:

void* data = const_cast<void *>(data_ptr);