Accumulo >> mail # dev >> GIT

+
Christopher 2013-05-21, 21:44
John Vines 2013-05-21, 21:51
Corey Nolet 2013-05-21, 22:06
David Medinets 2013-05-21, 22:05
Christopher 2013-05-21, 22:12
Benson Margulies 2013-05-21, 22:25
Mike Drob 2013-05-21, 22:25
Mattmann, Chris A 2013-05-21, 22:28
Benson Margulies 2013-05-21, 22:29
Michael Wall 2013-05-21, 23:32
Keith Turner 2013-05-22, 14:32
Billie Rinaldi 2013-05-22, 14:40
Josh Elser 2013-05-22, 14:57
+
David Medinets 2013-05-23, 00:42
+
John Vines 2013-05-23, 00:47
+
Jason Trost 2013-05-23, 12:23
+
Josh Elser 2013-05-23, 13:08
I'm not exactly sure how pull requests would work. I'd be most
comfortable incorporating pull requests where the changes being pulled
have also already been submitted as a patch to a ticket, so the pull
request is just a separate, more convenient method of merging what has
already been donated to the project, and not a replacement for more
official mechanisms of contributing code.

I doubt there are 'no-no's, but I suspect there are lots of cautionary
messages about inadvertently pulling in code encumbered with
restrictive licenses (imagine pulling some merges where an ancestor
has encumbered code, but the HEAD doesn't, and we do the pull, then
roll revert to a previous commit from that pull, and now have
encumbered code that we need to deal with).

So, handling merge requests would probably involve a policy like:
1) only merge single, squashed commits from external git repos (this
prevents merging potentially restrictive history)
2) require the patch represented by the merge to be first donated to
JIRA/ (we do this now)
3) check for any applicable license restrictions/issues. (we do this anyway)

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Josh Elser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd be curious if infra has any plans to stand up anything like Gerrit.
>
> We could possibly use Github as a way to handle external requests, but we'd
> be missing the nice-ness of automatic merging, etc. I'm not sure if there
> any no-no's from the ASF about doing such.
>

> On 5/23/13 8:23 AM, Jason Trost wrote:
>>
>> Would you all be open to using github as well (i.e. for pull requests, not
>> necessarily for issues)? IMO, this really amplify's git's usability.
+
David Medinets 2013-05-23, 18:02
+
Jason Trost 2013-05-26, 18:54