Avro >> mail # user >> Avro file Compression

+
amit nanda 2013-08-19, 16:12
+
Harsh J 2013-08-22, 06:31
+
Bill Baird 2013-08-22, 14:47
Re: Avro file Compression
The file format compresses in blocks, and the block size is configurable.
This will compress across objects in a block, so it works for small objects
as well as large ones ‹ as long as the total block size is large enough.

I have found that I can increase the ratio of compression by ordering the
objects carefully so that neighbor records have more in common.

From:  Bill Baird <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:  Thursday, August 22, 2013 7:47 AM
To:  "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:  Re: Avro file Compression

As with any compression, how much you get depends on the size and nature of
the data.  I have objects where unserialized they take 4 or 5k, and they
serialize to 1.5 to 3k, or about 2 to 1.  However, for the same object
structure (which contains several nested arrays ... lots of strings, numbers
... basic business data) when uncompressed it 17MB, it deflates to 1MB (or
17 to 1).  For very small objects, deflate will actually produce a larger
output, but it does quite well as the size of the data being deflated grows.

Bill