HBase, mail # user - The write process in the Region Server

Re: The write process in the Region Server
Amit Sela 2012-06-16, 14:17
Thanks Doug, I read the regions section from the book like you recommended
but I still have some questions left.

When running a massive write job, the regionserver log show the memsize
that is flushed. The problem is that most of the time the memsize is either
much smaller then the memstore.flush.size configured (resulting in writing
more files, which leads to frequent compactions) or bigger
than memstore.flush.size * memstore.block.multiplier (resulting in Blocking
updates for 'IPC Server handler # on <port>...).
In some cases I also see HBaseServer throwing a ClosedChannelException:
"WARN org.apache.hadoop.ipc.HBaseServer: IPC Server handler <handler #> on
<port #> caught: java.nio.channels.ClosedChannelException"

I guess these problems are also the cause for long (few minutes) pauses and
in extreme cases Full GC during the write jobs.

Any ideas anyone ?

In general, I did some digging and couldn't find much about the write
process in HBase from a "memory usage" point of view... besides the
configurations description - maybe worth adding to the book.

Thank you for all your help,