Avro, mail # dev - Thoughts on an RPC protocol

+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-04-07, 22:13
+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-04-08, 15:54
+
Bo Shi 2010-04-08, 21:49
+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-04-08, 22:19
+
Doug Cutting 2010-04-08, 22:43
+
Jeremy Custenborder 2010-04-09, 01:29
+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-04-09, 06:35
+
Scott Carey 2010-04-09, 16:00
+
Bruce Mitchener 2010-04-09, 16:16
+
Bo Shi 2010-04-09, 18:56
+
Scott Carey 2010-04-09, 20:54
+
Doug Cutting 2010-04-09, 21:29
+
Jeff Hodges 2010-04-10, 17:48
Re: Thoughts on an RPC protocol
Jeff Hodges 2010-04-10, 17:53
Oh, and it's been partially implemented in Chromium, so there's a
quasi-reference implementation.
--
Jeff

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Jeff Hodges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To throw another set of ideas into the hat, SPDY[1][2] would be good
> to learn from. SPDY takes the basics of HTTP and makes them fast.
> Benefits we would enjoy include:
>
> * Multiplexed streams
> * Request prioritization
> * HTTP header compression
> * Server push
>
> Currently in draft form.
>
> [1] http://dev.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-whitepaper
> [2] http://dev.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-protocol/spdy-protocol-draft2
> --
> Jeff
> On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Doug Cutting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Scott Carey wrote:
>>>
>>> I also have not wrapped my head around routing/proxy use cases.  From
>>> a somewhat ignorant perspective on them -- I'd rather have a solid
>>> point-to-point protocol that just works, is simple, and can meet the
>>> vast majority of use cases with high performance than one that
>>> happens to be capable of sophisticated routing but has a lot of other
>>> limitations or is a lot harder to implement and debug.
>>
>> FWIW, they're theoretical at this point.  I was only stating that prefixing
>> every request and response with handshakes makes stuff like proxies trivial,
>> since the protocol becomes stateless.  Once we start having sessions things
>> get trickier.  For example, many HTTP client libraries cache connections,
>> so, if you're building on top of one of those, it's hard to know when a new
>> connection is opened.
>>
>> One approach is to declare that the current framing and handshake rules only
>> apply to HTTP, currently our only standard transport.  Then we can define a
>> new transport that's point-to-point, stateful, etc. which may handle framing
>> and handshakes differently.  Thus we can retain back-compatibility.  Make
>> sense?
>>
>> Doug

+
Jeff Hodges 2010-04-10, 17:57