HBase >> mail # dev >> Introduce GC tuning profiles

Re: Introduce GC tuning profiles
I would like to second Laxman's proposal. Currently, some of the
"default" hbase configuration is targeted towards newbies so as to
avoid getting basic questions in the mailing list ... which is ok. I
think we at least need something like an hbase-prod.xml that lists
more realistic values for a production like environment - or perhaps
provide value ranges that are appropriate for a production-like
environment.

For instance, default zookeeper.session.timeout of 3 minutes is known
to be too long ... so, what is a more realistic one for production ...
and so forth.
The profiles approach is even better if we see a lot of variations
depending on cluster / available heap size / etc.

I don't think anyone should expect blindly using them - but at least
it gives a much better starting point for tuning the cluster for folks
taking this into production.
--Suraj