Zookeeper, mail # dev - [DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject

Re: [DISCUSS] move hedwig/bookkeeper to subproject
Flavio Junqueira 2011-03-08, 21:01
I'm sorry for not replying before. I didn't feel that the message was
for me, since it should be pretty obvious that I'm interested in those
projects. Here are some thoughts, though:

- It would be really nice to have committers for bookkeeper/hedwig;
- It would be really nice to have independent releases for bookkeeper/
hedwig;
- It sounds like bookkeeper and hedwig don't always go together, and
hdfs is an instance in which it happens. But, hedwig builds on top of
bookkeeper (and other components), so using hedwig implies using
bookkeeper. Consequently, if we choose only one to be a main project,
perhaps bookkeeper would be a better choice;
- I don't think we have anyone who could be a project lead for these
projects right now, so it could be a problem to split up at this
point. For this reason, a zookeeper subproject sounds like a better
option compared to incubator, unless we are able to find a project lead.

-Flavio

On Mar 2, 2011, at 6:55 PM, Benjamin Reed wrote:

> i wanted to start a discussion about making hedwig and bookkeeper a
> subproject. (actually pat started the discussion last month in general
> about all of the contrib projects.) there are three questions, in my
> mind, that we need to answer to move forward:
>
> 1) should it be a hedwig/bookkeeper subproject, or should there be two
> separate projects? we need to build a developer community and i'm
> wondering if we should try to build a single dev community or two. the
> relationship is a bit asymmetrical: hedwig depends on bookkeeper, but
> not visa-versa. i'm inclined to say we do a hedwig subproject and
> include bookkeeper with it, but i don't feel strongly.
>
> 2) should we propose a subproject to zookeeper or to incubator? i'm a
> bit more inclined to propose a zookeeper subproject simply because it
> fits well with the zookeeper community, but it does introduce a bit
> more overhead to the zookeeper PMC.
>
> 3) do we have the developer interest to make it happen in the first
> place? i know we can get at least 3 initial committers from yahoo!,
> but projects should be represented by multiple companies. (the goal is
> at least 3.) so, is there interest in working on the project from
> others?
>
> please comment. these are all open issues, so opinions are what i'm
> looking for. if there isn't much discussion, i think that will
> implicitly answer 3 :)
>
> thanx
> ben

flavio
junqueira

research scientist

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
direct +34 93-183-8828

phone (408) 349 3300    fax (408) 349 3301