Accumulo >> mail # user >> Tunneling over SSH

+
stbill79@... 2013-09-05, 23:14
Re: Tunneling over SSH
You're right that ZK is instructing the client to talk directly to
192.168.182.22:9997 (tablet server). As Mike suggested, this could be
resolved if we stored hostnames rather than IPs, and you had hostnames
mapped to the external IP, and ports forwarded over SSH.

A more robust solution would be to have a client-side configuration
setting that allowed you to specify a SOCKS proxy. The standard system
properties "socksProxyHost" and "socksProxyPort" may even work today,
if you set them up as system properties in your client code before you
open a thrift connection... I haven't tested this myself.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii
On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 7:14 PM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to tunnel via SSH to a single Hadoop,Zoo, Accumulo stand-alone
> installation. The internal IP of the machine is on a local subnet behind a
> SSH-only firewall - 192.168.182.22.. I use static host names in all of the
> config files (Accumulo, Zoo, Hadoop) that resolve to 192.168.182.22 for all
> the servers. There is no problem connecting when I'm directly connected to
> the subnet inside the firewall.
>
> However, when I try to connect via the JAVA API from outside the firewall, I
> get an error: Failed to find an available server in the list of servers:
> [192.168.182.22:9997:9997 (120000)]. I've created a Windows Loopback
> interface that allows me to forward unlimited ports directly through the SSH
> tunnel to the internal network - there is no issue with connecting to Hadoop
> via Java or the web interface, and I can view the Accumuoo status page at
> 50095 by just setting my Windows box to resolve the hostname to the loopback
> local IP -> SSH -> 192.168.182.22:50095.
>
> I think the problem is that Zookeeper is telling my Java process to try and
> make a connection directly to 192.168.22.9997. If Zoo would use the
> hostname, there'd be no problem as it'd resolve to the loopback, and get
> tunneled along with everything else. But since it uses the actual IP, the
> Windows box won't route that back through the SSH tunnel as it considers it
> a local subnet outside of the firewall.
>
> Anyone experienced this issue and have a solution? I guess one solution
> might be to 'trick' Windows into forwarding the 192.168.x.y subnet back
> through the loopback (-> SSH), but I'm not seeing a good way to do that.
>
> Thanks
+
Christopher 2013-09-06, 02:37
+