Zookeeper, mail # user - ZooKeeper Memory Usage

+
Mike Schilli 2012-02-09, 01:23
+
César Álvarez Núñez 2012-02-09, 10:05
+
Camille Fournier 2012-02-09, 14:14
+
César Álvarez Núñez 2012-02-09, 14:47
Re: ZooKeeper Memory Usage
Camille Fournier 2012-02-09, 14:59
That is interesting. Can you send us the stress test so we can investigate?
Also, could you possibly run it on the new RC to see if it's still a
problem?

2012/2/9 César Álvarez Núñez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> In my case, our stress test show up a linear increase of "tenured memory"
> from 0 to > 3GiB with ZK 3.4.0 whereas the same stress-test with 3.3.3
> keeps "tenured memory" stable and < 10MiB.
>
> The stress test performs many zNodes creation and delete but the overall zk
> usage at any moment in time was relative small.
>
> BR,
> /César.
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Camille Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is really a question about how the jvm grows its heaps and resizes
> > them. If the jvm cannot allocate enough memory for the process because
> you
> > didn't set the max memory high enough, it will fall over. Zookeeper keeps
> > its entire state in memory for performance reasons, if it were to swap
> that
> > would be quite bad for performance.

> > On Feb 8, 2012 8:23 PM, "Mike Schilli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > We've got a ZooKeeper instance that's using about 5 GB of resident
> > > memory. Every time we restart it, it starts at 200MB, and then grows
> > > slowly until it is back at 5 GB.
> > >
> > > The large footprint is related to how much data we've got in there.
> > > What's interesting, though, is that the process size doesn't shrink if
> > > we purge some of the data.
> > >
> > > Now, this isn't a big problem, I'm just curious if the process will
> fall
> > > over at some point if it can't get more memory or if it'll just make
> due
> > > by caching less data.
> > >
> > > Also, if I remember correctly, there's a configuration variable to set
> > > the maximum size, what happens if ZK reaches that?
> > >
> > > -- -- Mike
> > >
> > > Mike Schilli
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

+