Zookeeper >> mail # user >> ZooKeeper Memory Usage

+
Mike Schilli 2012-02-09, 01:23
+
César Álvarez Núñez 2012-02-09, 10:05
+
Camille Fournier 2012-02-09, 14:14
+
César Álvarez Núñez 2012-02-09, 14:47
Re: ZooKeeper Memory Usage
That is interesting. Can you send us the stress test so we can investigate?
Also, could you possibly run it on the new RC to see if it's still a
problem?

2012/2/9 César Álvarez Núñez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> In my case, our stress test show up a linear increase of "tenured memory"
> from 0 to > 3GiB with ZK 3.4.0 whereas the same stress-test with 3.3.3
> keeps "tenured memory" stable and < 10MiB.
>
> The stress test performs many zNodes creation and delete but the overall zk
> usage at any moment in time was relative small.
>
> BR,
> /César.
>
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Camille Fournier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > This is really a question about how the jvm grows its heaps and resizes
> > them. If the jvm cannot allocate enough memory for the process because
> you
> > didn't set the max memory high enough, it will fall over. Zookeeper keeps
> > its entire state in memory for performance reasons, if it were to swap
> that
> > would be quite bad for performance.

> > On Feb 8, 2012 8:23 PM, "Mike Schilli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > We've got a ZooKeeper instance that's using about 5 GB of resident
> > > memory. Every time we restart it, it starts at 200MB, and then grows
> > > slowly until it is back at 5 GB.
> > >
> > > The large footprint is related to how much data we've got in there.
> > > What's interesting, though, is that the process size doesn't shrink if
> > > we purge some of the data.
> > >
> > > Now, this isn't a big problem, I'm just curious if the process will
> fall
> > > over at some point if it can't get more memory or if it'll just make
> due
> > > by caching less data.
> > >
> > > Also, if I remember correctly, there's a configuration variable to set
> > > the maximum size, what happens if ZK reaches that?
> > >
> > > -- -- Mike
> > >
> > > Mike Schilli
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

+