Hive >> mail # user >> Hive 0.7.1 with MySQL 5.5 as metastore

Re: Hive 0.7.1 with MySQL 5.5 as metastore
Moving underlying data files around is not the correct way to perform
an upgrade.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html

I would do a mysqldump and then re-insert the data for maximum comparability.