HBase, mail # dev - Re: Announcement of Project Panthera: Better Analytics with SQL, MapReduce and HBase

+
Andrew Purtell 2012-09-17, 19:22
RE: Announcement of Project Panthera: Better Analytics with SQL, MapReduce and HBase
Dai, Jason 2012-09-18, 00:44
Hi Andrew,

See my comments below (I have also replied at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6800#comment-13457508).

Thanks,
-Jason

This could work, though I think we need to figure out how to address several implications brought by the proposal, such as:
(1) How do the users figure out what co-processor applications are stable, so that they can use in their production deployment?
(2) How do we ensure the co-processor applications continue to be compatible with the changes in the HBase project, and compatible with each other?
(3) How do the users get the co-processor applications? They can no longer get these from the Apache HBase release, and may need to perform manual integrations - not something average business users will do, and the main reason that we put the full HBase source tree out (several of our users and customers want to get a prototype of DOT to try it out).

Yes, we do plan to submit the proposal for observers for the filter operations as a separate JIRA (the original plan was to make it a sub task of this JIRA).