Hive, mail # user - Error

Re: Error
Keith Wiley 2012-03-09, 23:37
Considering that I don't even konw what the metastore is, I doubt I did anything specifically aside from the instructions.  All I did was follow the startup guide.  Nothing more.  More to the point, when I followed the same instructions on a Linux box, it worked.  Something is admittedly wrong with my Mac setup, but I don't think there is any third-party metastore of some sort.  I certainly didn't install or create anything like that.  I'm not even sure what it is.

Hmmm, how do I resetup or initialize the metastore from scratch and try again?

On Mar 9, 2012, at 13:21 , Mark Grover wrote:

> Hi Keith,
> This error is typically encountered when your metastore (that stores the metadata related to Hive tables e.g. name of columns, name of tables, etc. etc.) is not correctly set up.
>
> Have you set up an external metastore? By default, Hive should use an embedded Derby metastore which only allows one connection at a time.
>
> Mark
>
> Mark Grover, Business Intelligence Analyst
> OANDA Corporation
>
> www: oanda.com www: fxtrade.com
>
> "Best Trading Platform" - World Finance's Forex Awards 2009.
> "The One to Watch" - Treasury Today's Adam Smith Awards 2009.

"It's a fine line between meticulous and obsessive-compulsive and a slippery
rope between obsessive-compulsive and debilitatingly slow."
                                           --  Keith Wiley