Kafka >> mail # dev >> Consumer re-design proposal

Re: Consumer re-design proposal
Throwing a +1 on "Allow the consumer to reset its offset to some arbitrary value, and then write that offset into ZK".

We're currently running into a scenario where we would like to have 100% reliability, and we're losing a few messages when a connection is broken, but there were still a few messages in the OS TCP buffers. So, we're planning on shifting the ZK offset by a few seconds "back in time" if we detect a broker has gone down, to make sure all the messages will be actually delivered to the end consumer when that broker comes back up, even if there's a small amount of overlapping messages.

Thanks,

Marcos