Pig, mail # dev - Our release process

Re: Our release process
Santhosh M S 2012-11-30, 07:16
Looks like everyone is interested in having frequent releases - I don't see anyone disagreeing with that.

Regarding "If a patch makes the release branch unstable, we revert it" - what are the criteria? If we can't decide on the criteria on this thread (already pretty long) then lets get the release trains going. We can revisit the criteria for inclusion of bug fixes when that happens.

Santhosh
________________________________
 From: Julien Le Dem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Santhosh M S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:45 AM
Subject: Re: Our release process

The release branch receives only bug fixes. Patch level releases (3rd
version number) are issued out of the release branch and introduce
only bug fixes and no new features.
Deciding whether a patch is applied to the release branch is based on
preserving stability (as Bill said). If a patch makes the release
branch unstable, we revert it.
New features are added to trunk where new major and minor releases will happen.
If we need a new feature out then we make a new minor release.
Doing frequent releases is the industry standard and will resolve
conflicts around what should go in a release branch.

Making a new release is currently painful *because* we wait so long in
between two releases. Let's fix that.

Julien