HBase, mail # user - Pre-split table using shell

Re: Pre-split table using shell
Michael Segel 2012-06-12, 16:09
?Inferred sigh of despair?  Was it that obvious? :-)

I'm not sure what hardware you're running on so its hard to say.

Here's the problem... On each DN, you're running a DN and a RS. Assuming that you're not going to run a TT or do any M/R to push/pull data in and out of HBase.
You don't have a lot of memory to play with.

I guess you could make the heap size a max of 4GB...

Its really tight.

In general, I'd recommend at least 4GB per physical core. Some are looking at 8GB.

The problem is that with too little memory, if you hit swap, you can cause a cascading failure taking down your entire instance.

Sorry, I tend to be a bit paranoid and try to make the servers as robust as budgets allow.

Getting back to your initial problem...
Hash the keys and I think then you'll be ok.
HTH

-Mike