HBase >> mail # dev >> All ok w/ thrift2 going away in trunk/0.95?

+
Stack 2013-04-24, 19:53
+
Lars George 2013-04-25, 05:45
+
Stack 2013-04-25, 05:55
+
Lars George 2013-04-25, 06:12
+
Andrew Purtell 2013-04-25, 18:10
Re: All ok w/ thrift2 going away in trunk/0.95?
At first, I am +1 for removing it.  We had a similar discussion before, and
didn't pull the plug because of Tim's comment:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hbase-dev/201212.mbox/%3CCAE9meBbH7V1PhSbeGtEpbXg1h5drbS+[EMAIL PROTECTED]%3E

To me, instead of complete and maintain Thrift2, it will be much better to
come up a new one since we are on PB now.

Thanks,
Jimmy
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Andrew Purtell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> I'm glad someone has stepped forward to be an active responsive maintainer
> of this piece of code. Maintenance is one issue, actual usage is another.
> Does anyone actually use this? What is the plan for Thrift? Do we continue
> with both interfaces through one or more subsequent versions?
>

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Lars George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > I am -1 to remove, took a long time to get it in there and should
> > deprecate Thrift v1 - or else we are in the same mess as mapred and
> > mapreduce is. We once replaced the entire client API and now we can't do
> > this for Thrift?
> >
> > I am happy to work on v2 and fix or maintain it. It should be the way
> > forward methinks.
> >
> > Lars
> >
> > On Apr 24, 2013, at 21:53, Stack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thrift2 was supposed to be the future -- an API like the native java
> API
> > --
> > > but it never got the support needed to make it a superset of thrift1.
> > > Meantime folks are running thrift1 in production and patching it as
> they
> > > need extra calls and fixes.
> > >
> > > While we have two thrifts, thrift1 and thrift2, the latter of which we
> > are
> > > afraid to recommend because we do not know of any prod install, we sew
> > > confusion ("Which should I use?",  "Doc only talks about 'thrift'?").
> > >
> > > HBASE-8184 is a patch to remove thrift2 until it gets a sponsor who can
> > > move it beyond thrift1 .  I already have a +1 to remove.  Will let the
> > > issue stew a day or two in case objection to thrift2 going away.
> > >
> > > St.Ack
> >

> --
> Best regards,
>
>    - Andy