HDFS >> mail # user >> Re: Is FileSystem thread-safe?

+
Ted Yu 2013-03-31, 14:40
+
Arpit Agarwal 2013-04-01, 22:17
RE: Is FileSystem thread-safe?
Thanks! Does this also imply that multiple clients may open the same HDFS file for append simultaneously, and expect append requests to be interleaved?
john

From: Arpit Agarwal [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 4:18 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is FileSystem thread-safe?

Hi John,

DistributedFileSystem is intended to be thread-safe, true to its name.

Metadata operations are handled by the NameNode server which synchronizes concurrent client requests via locks (you can look at the FSNameSystem class).

Some discussion on the thread-safety aspects of HDFS:
http://storageconference.org/2010/Papers/MSST/Shvachko.pdf

-Arpit