Hadoop, mail # user - Streaming reporter counter update

Re: Streaming reporter counter update
Keith Wiley 2011-02-01, 20:47
Ah, so count doesn't "set" the count, it increments it, meaning I shouldn't increment it each time.  That would result in some sort of strange exponential counter.  I should just pass 1 every time.  I get it.

I'm still unclear on the distinction between the group and the individual counter, but I'll read up on that on my own.

Thanks.

On Feb 1, 2011, at 12:31 , Harsh J wrote:

> A 'group' is a set of counters (like 'Map-Reduce Framework' in default
> counters -> That's a group name). A 'counter' needs a name to signify
> what it is about.
>
> The increment is what the 'amount' signifies. Generally 1, but can be
> any amount you need to increment the current count by. All counters
> are of Long type. Floats are not acceptable AFAIK.
>
> Example:
> reporter:counter:Aliens,Mars,1 would +1 the global counter
> [Aliens].Mars and reporter:counter:Aliens,Unknown,10 would +10 the
> global counter [Aliens].Unknown.
>
> Counters are aggregated together across all launched tasks, so you
> don't need to worry about aggregating them yourselves. Each Map/Reduce
> task needs only to count its own needed counters up from 0.
Keith Wiley               [EMAIL PROTECTED]               www.keithwiley.com

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was.  Now, what I'm with
isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me."
  -- Abe (Grandpa) Simpson