HBase >> mail # dev >> [UPDATE] Finishing up 0.96 --> WAS Re: 0.95 and 0.96 remaining issues

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:20 PM, James Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> What's the functionality that we'll lose without the order-preserving part
> being included?

Well, order preservation ;) Lacking 8201, we'd get all the existing Bytes
goodness but wrapped up in 8693's API. The framework is laid for other
HBase components, user applications, and downstream projects to start
building on it immediately. I'd like to start pluming it into some new
Filters, a couple of the MapReduce tools, Hive's interop layer, maybe even
replace PDataType with DataType if you're open to such a patch. The
OrderedBytes stuff will require applications to have a plan for data
migration when they decide to transition over to it, but they can get a
head-start on the boiler-plate code.