Hadoop, mail # dev - Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 01:51
+
Alejandro Abdelnur 2012-11-30, 01:25
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-30, 02:26
+
Chuan Liu 2012-11-30, 03:22
+
Bikas Saha 2012-11-30, 04:27
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 11:21
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 12:57
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:29
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 14:02
+
Luke Lu 2012-11-30, 13:49
+
Arun C Murthy 2012-12-02, 18:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 00:29
+
Steve Loughran 2012-11-30, 13:20
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-30, 13:40
+
Jitendra Pandey 2012-11-30, 22:49
+
Steve Loughran 2012-12-01, 10:48
+
Matt Foley 2012-11-24, 20:13
+
Ivan Mitic 2012-11-29, 23:41
+
Mahadevan Venkatraman 2012-11-30, 02:07
+
Raja Aluri 2012-12-01, 00:57
+
Eli Collins 2012-12-01, 01:08
+
Steve Loughran 2012-12-01, 10:44
+
Doug Cutting 2012-12-01, 18:23
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-12-13, 00:53
+
Doug Cutting 2012-11-30, 16:55
+
Joep Rottinghuis 2012-12-01, 20:28
+
Eric Yang 2012-12-02, 06:07
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-12-13, 00:55
+
Tom White 2012-12-03, 14:23
+
Chris Nauroth 2012-11-25, 07:18
+
Suresh Srinivas 2012-11-26, 20:41
+
Konstantin Boudnik 2012-11-26, 18:30
+
Radim Kolar 2012-11-26, 17:34
+
Colin McCabe 2012-11-26, 16:53
Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Chris Nauroth 2012-11-26, 17:44
Declaring 2.4 to be the minimum supported version sounds like a great idea.
 I've worked with CentOS distributions that have a dependency on Python
2.4, and it was always awkward to get a later version on those machines.

Thank you,
--Chris

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Colin McCabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Nonbinding, but:
>
> +1, +1, 0.
>
> Also, let's please clearly define the versions of Python we support if
> we do chooes to go this route.  Something like 2.4+ would be
> reasonable.  The process launching APIs in particular changed a lot in
> those early 2.x releases.
>
> best,
> Colin
>

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Matt Foley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > For discussion, please see previous thread "[PROPOSAL] introduce Python
> as
> > build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop
> stack".
> >
> > This vote consists of three separate items:
> >
> > 1. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> > scripting language for build-time tasks, and add Python as a build-time
> > dependency.
> > Please vote +1, 0, -1.
> >
> > 2. Contributors shall be encouraged to use Maven tasks in combination
> with
> > either plug-ins or Groovy scripts to do cross-platform build-time tasks,
> > even under ant in Hadoop-1.
> > Please vote +1, 0, -1.
> >
> > 3. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent
> > scripting language for run-time tasks, and add Python as a run-time
> > dependency.
> > Please vote +1, 0, -1.
> >
> > Note that voting -1 on #1 and +1 on #2 essentially REQUIRES contributors
> > use Maven plug-ins or Groovy as the only means of cross-platform
> build-time
> > tasks, or to simply continue using platform-dependent scripts as is being
> > done today.
> >
> > Vote closes at 12:30pm PST on Saturday 1 December.
> > ---------
> > Personally, my vote is +1, +1, +1.
> > I think #2 is preferable to #1, but still has many unknowns in it, and
> > until those are worked out I don't want to delay moving to cross-platform
> > scripts for build-time tasks.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > --Matt

+