Hive >> mail # dev >> Connect Squirrel SQL Client to access Hive tables

Connect Squirrel SQL Client to access Hive tables
I am new to Hive, MapReduce and Hadoop, so I am newbie in this.
I am using Putty to connect to hive table and access records in the tables.
So what I did is- I opened Putty and in the host name I typed- `
ares-ingest.vip.name.com` and then I click `Open`. And then I entered my
username and password and then few commands to get to Hive sql. Below is
the list what I did

    $ bash
    bash-3.00$ hive
    Hive history
file=/tmp/rjamal/hive_job_log_rjamal_201207010451_1212680168.txt
    hive> set mapred.job.queue.name=hdmi-technology;
    hive> select * from table LIMIT 1;

So my question is-

**Is there any other way I can do the same thing in any Sql client like Sql
Developer or Squirel SQL Client instead of doing it from the command
prompt. And if it is there then what is the step by step process to do this
considering my example as I am logging to `ares-ingest.vip.name.com` from
Putty .**

And same thing if I need to do through JDBC Program in my windows machine
then how I can do it. Means with the use of JDBC Program, how I can access
Hive tables and get the result back. As I know how I can do this with the
oracle tables. But the only confusion I have is, as I am using this
hostname `ares-ingest.vip.name.com` to log into Putty. I am hoping the
question is clear. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

**In short my question is- Can I do the same thing in any SQLClient instead
of logging from the Putty?**
-Raihan Jamal