Hadoop, mail # dev - Hadoop 0.20.0

Re: Hadoop 0.20.0
Eric Baldeschwieler 2009-02-26, 04:45
+1

Hi Folks,

I don't think vetoing releases until the append issue is resolved is
constructive.  I'd like to invite folks who want to fix append to work
with us on that and support releasing 20 without it in parallel.

Please keep in mind the spirit of this project.  Putting your shoulder
to the wheel gets features added to the project.  Vetoing a release
will not get anything added to it.  It will simply delay getting those
features we've all agreed work tested and released.  Resolving the
append issues is going to take a big investment.  We all want to see
that happen.  But we also need to provide the whole hadoop community
with stable releases while we do the hard work needed to really solve
this problem.

Why are we taking this position?  The current append design has proven
fix resistant.  We've deployed fix after fix and have continued to see
new append bugs that have caused data loss and cluster down time.  We
moved to disable append in our clusters because that was the only path
we could see to delivering a stable system to our users.  We believe
the only way to solve this problem is to acknowledge that the append
code is a critical section of the code that needs to be designed,
documented and tested thoroughly if we expect it to function well.
Given the pain the append issue has caused us, we are going to -1
"quick fixes" to it.  Data loss and corruption are serious issues.
We've been burned.

I hope folks will consider this and both support a 20 release without
append and also work with us to really fix append.  We promise to work
hard with the community to deliver a 20.x or 21 release with append.

Thanks,

E14
---
eric14 a.k.a. Eric Baldeschwieler