Zookeeper >> mail # user >> Maximum size of a snapshot

+
Sergey Maslyakov 2013-07-16, 03:46
+
Thawan Kooburat 2013-07-16, 04:50
+
kishore g 2013-07-16, 07:21
Re: Maximum size of a snapshot
And another extension on top of Kishore's question: do the reelections
happen if the previously elected leader remains in the cluster? In other
words, what events can trigger re-election and the corresponding temporary
degradation of the service provided by Zookeeper?
Thank you,
/Sergey
On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM, kishore g <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Regarding #2. Is that really true that during leader election every machine
> reloads snapshot data from disk? Any reason why this is needed unless it
> really needs to truncate or undo conflicting transactions already applied?
>

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Thawan Kooburat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Max snapshot size:
> >
> > Here is my take on these issue,  others feel free to add or correct.
> >
> > 1. Depends on how much RAM your machine has.  Snapshot is should be less
> > than the available RAM since everything is loaded into memory.
> > 2. Depends on what is the availability guarantee that the client needs.
> > If there is leader election, every machine need to reload the data from
> > disk. So the quorum will be down for at least the same as snapshot
> > time. The session timeout on the client side should be at least longer
> > than expected downtime during leader election.
> >
> > --
> > Thawan Kooburat
> >

> > On 7/15/13 8:46 PM, "Sergey Maslyakov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >I have a couple of sizing questions to the users and developers. Hope,
> you
> > >don't mind answering those.
> > >
> > >What is the guideline for the maximum reasonable size of a DataTree
> that a
> > >single ZK server can manage? If ZK server writes out a snapshot of about
> > >1GB in size, is it pushed beyond the limits or is it still manageable?
> If
> > >so, where is the critical threshold when ZK is really being abused?
> > >
> > >Similarly, how can I estimate the propagation delay of a change across
> an
> > >ensemble of three ZK servers?
> > >

> > >Thank you,
> > >/Sergey