HBase >> mail # dev >> would HBase benefit from a underlying file system that supports random r/w

Re: would HBase benefit from a underlying file system that supports random r/w

On Monday, July 23, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Sujee Maniyam wrote:

> i understand currently Hbase does append on HDFS, b/c HDFS doesn't allow
> random seek + modification.
>
> how will a file system that provides random seek+modify benefit hbase?
In the current architecture, I don't think there will be much benefit. One could argue that you could create mutable HFiles and do away with things like compactions if you had the ability to do random writes. But then the issue is that every time there is an insert, you'll be seeking and that's expensive. Think a step further - a FS with random writes running over SSDs might change the game a little bit more and take away the seek costs. That's an entirely different conversation.