Pig, mail # user - Problem in understanding UDF COUNT - 2014-07-21, 12:44

Problem in understanding UDF COUNT
a = load '/user/hue/word_count_text.txt';
b = foreach a generate flatten(TOKENIZE((chararray)$0)) as word;
c = group b by word;
d = foreach c generate COUNT(b), group;

I want to know what would be the input to the udf COUNT in this
case.Also what is the meaning of b being passed as an arguement.

Also I am still not clear acout how count operates.

Thanks

Ashish