Pig, mail # user - Re: generic union types in piggybank - 2014-03-26, 21:43

Re: generic union types in piggybank
Hi Cheolsoo,

Thanks for your reply!  (Liang and I work together.)  The restriction to
"simple" union types is still there in the latest code; see lines 83-95,
here:
https://github.com/apache/pig/blob/trunk/src/org/apache/pig/impl/util/avro/AvroStorageSchemaConversionUtilities.java

I know that elephant-bird has full schema support for reading/writing
protobuf (please correct me if I'm wrong).  However, I am unaware of any
alternative to AvroStorage for pig.  We may just need to implement it
ourselves, since it is a blocker for using pig with our avro schemas.
 Perhaps, someone on this list knows another workaround?

Thanks,

stan