HDFS >> mail # user >> RE: Namenode formatting problem

RE: Namenode formatting problem
Hi Keith,

When you run the format command on the namenode machine it actually starts
the namenode, formats it then shuts it down (see:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/commands_manual.html). Before you run
the format command do you see any processes already listening on port 9212
via netstat -anlp | grep 9212 on the namenode?

As per the recommendations on the link in the error message
(http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/BindException) you could try changing the
port used by the namenode

I'm not familiar with deploying Hadoop on EC2 so I'm not sure if this is
different for EC2 deployments, however, the namenode usually listens on port
8020 for file system metadata operations so I guess you specified a
different port in the fs.default.parameter hdfs-site.xml?

Vijay