Accumulo, mail # dev - Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0

+
Keith Turner 2013-06-03, 22:05
+
Adam Fuchs 2013-06-03, 21:49
+
Christopher 2013-06-03, 22:10
+
Christopher 2013-06-03, 22:23
+
Sean Busbey 2013-06-03, 22:31
+
Christopher 2013-06-03, 22:39
Re: [VOTE] JDK 1.7 - Switch for Accumulo 1.6.0
William Slacum 2013-06-03, 22:31
+1 because:

- Java 1.6 has reached EOL, making Java 1.7 inevitable
- we're very early in the planning phase for Accumulo 1.6, which means we
hopefully won't break or invalidate already-contributed features to it
I don't think a 2.0.0 should be motivated by an upgrade in a dependency,
even if it's the most important dependency of all.
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Sean Busbey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Dropping JDK6 support is a pretty big deal.
>
> I don't know that it's as big a deal as many think it is, but it is
> certainly big enough to require a vote, I think.
>
> > Is it worth making it a 2.0.0 feature instead of 1.6.0?
> >
> > If not, what would be the distinction for a 2.0.0?
>
> Good question. We have not discussed the kinds of big features that
> would require updating the major revision number in a release. I don't
> think this is it, but if it, then that could be held as a separate
> vote.
>
> > In the mean time we could explicitly change testing to be on JDK7 instead
> > of JDK6 as an initial step.
>
> I don't know what you mean by this. I've been running on JRE7 for
> quite some time (at least 6 months). Other than that, what kind of
> test procedures are you suggesting?
>

> > On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Christopher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Given all the previous discussions about this, and assuming all points
> >> and counterpoints have already been sufficiently enumerated, I'd like
> >> to put it to a vote, explicitly:
> >>
> >> Should we switch to JDK 1.7 for Accumulo 1.6.0, to take advantage of
> >> newer features (ACCUMULO-905), or should we continue to require that
> >> Accumulo 1.6.0 run on JRE 1.6?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Christopher L Tubbs II
> >> http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii