Chukwa >> mail # dev >> Re: What constitute a successful project?

+
Dai, Jason 2012-11-29, 13:54
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-30, 06:39
+
Jerome Boulon 2012-11-30, 09:04
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-30, 16:05
+
Eric Yang 2012-11-27, 08:08
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 14:19
+
Suresh Marru 2012-11-27, 12:36
+
Benson Margulies 2012-11-27, 13:54
+
ant elder 2012-11-27, 15:16
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-27, 15:32
Re: What constitute a successful project?
Hi Alan,

In Wink, you voted +1, and in Chukwa, you voted -1.  While the status are
similar between Chukwa and Wink, but what is the logic behind your votes?
 In addition, Chukwa and Kafka are similar, and some Kafka design are
borrowed from Chukwa.  Does your relationship with Kafka influence your
judgement being bias toward Chukwa?

You called me a lone developer, while the jira list showed there are
several others contributing as well.  There are people submitting patches
and open jira for discussions.

You volunteered to work as mentor for Chukwa, but we only hear from you 4
times while being Chukwa mentor:

1. March 23, we welcome you to become Chukwa mentor.  On the same day, you
ask Chukwa to be retired.
2. June Report, Chris reviewed report, you gave a +1.
3. September 9, you said "thank you" to Bernd for follow up on granting new
committers access.
4. Nov 16, you start on the private list on the same thread about retiring
Chukwa.

I am sorry, but I may be blunt.  I think your action is harmful to Chukwa
community rather than helping the community.

In the Chukwa private mailing list, I also expressed my limitation to be
contributing to Chukwa while I am working through logistics with my
employer to get approval.  While I did not write new code for Chukwa for
the past half year, Chukwa continue to receive patches from the following
individuals:

Noel Duffy
Jie Huang
Sourygna Luangsay
Abhijit Dhar
Saisai Shao
Ivy Tang
Prakhar Srivastava
Eric Speck

Some patches are committed by Ari Rabkin.  Contributions after 0.5 release
can be tracked in CHANGES.txt.  Chukwa is truly running as an open Apache
project where patches are reviewed and discussed.

Chukwa is used by Netflix, IBM, Intel, and several companies.  If you
search on LinkedIn, number of people that has Chukwa on their resume grown
from 30 people in January to 55 now.  The information are the same
information that I provided on chukwa-private mailing list.

Here is the quote from Chris:

"Eric, you recommend graduating Chukwa to be a TLP based on its
activity relative to other incubator projects, engagement from
independent contributors, adoption and investment in commercial
offerings, and indirect measures of a growing interest in the project.
Is that a fair summary?"

While Chukwa community is low key on participate political votes because
the same rehash of closing the community has been on the focus since the
original incubation proposal was written.

If we are going to move forward, more time in incubation is not a realistic
option.  The only way is vote for graduation and avoid the vicious cycle of
closing the project review.

regards,
Eric

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM, Alan Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2012, at 7:16 AM, ant elder wrote:
>
> > Unless there are compelling reason to stop, i.e continuing breaches of
> > basic ASF polices and principles, then where possible letting a poddling
> > continue incubation or just graduate seems better to me than making them
> go
> > elsewhere. Its not like a small slow problem is chewing up ASF resources,
> > but i understand not everyone here agrees with my views on that. Wink is
> an
> > example of poddling in similar circumstances and there we are about to
> have
> > decided that graduation is better than retirement. Perhaps thats a better
> > approach. I don't recall a graduation recommendation request from the
> > Incubator has ever been rejected by the board so perhaps the Incubator is
> > too conservative with graduation recommendations.
> >
> > Its interesting comparing Wink and Chukwa. From many perspectives Chukwa
> is
> > much more active than Wink but we're about to graduate Wink and talking
> > about retiring this one. I've not yet had a chance to go through all the
> > Chukwa archives but unless i'm misunderstanding something Chukwa isn't
> just
> > a lone coder, there have been several committers in the last months and
> > while one is doing the majority of the commits many of those are actually
+
Alan Cabrera 2012-11-28, 06:00
+
Jukka Zitting 2012-11-27, 08:29