HBase, mail # dev - Mocking classes for unit tests Was: asynchbase-1.2.0-rc1 is available for download

Re: Mocking classes for unit tests Was: asynchbase-1.2.0-rc1 is available for download
Todd Lipcon 2012-02-22, 20:28
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM, tsuna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Ted Yu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Benoit's comment is directly related to our practice, especially when we
>> add new methods which are only called by unit tests.
>
> I didn't dare to say it, but now that you do… :P
>
> HBase exposes a TON of implementation details in public APIs.  Makes
> things harder to refactor because you don't know if anyone out there
> is relying on this method or extending that class.

The annotations stuff that Jimmy's working on will help a bit in terms
of clarifying which APIs are meant for public consumption and which
just happen to be public classes because Java's scoping sucks.

> Mocking out things that are hidden is certainly a bit harder than
> calling into a public API javadoced as "for test only", but if it
> keeps the APIs clean, then I think it's worthwhile.

One thing we've started to do in Hadoop is to actually name methods
"getFooForTests" or "setFooForTests" instead of just annotating them.
This makes clear that you should never call it from non-test code, and
relies on far less magic than PowerMock.

Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera