HDFS, mail # dev - VOTE: HDFS-347 merge

+
Colin McCabe 2013-02-17, 21:48
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-18, 02:35
Stack 2013-02-18, 01:49
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-18, 22:03
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 00:11
Patrick Angeles 2013-02-20, 18:08
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 19:56
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 23:01
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:06
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:06
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-20, 23:08
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:13
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-20, 23:31
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-20, 23:40
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-21, 00:04
Todd Lipcon 2013-02-21, 00:12
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-21, 00:28
Chris Douglas 2013-02-21, 00:29
Aaron T. Myers 2013-02-21, 01:12
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-21, 15:40
Andrew Purtell 2013-02-21, 01:32
Chris Douglas 2013-02-21, 21:24
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-21, 22:15
Eli Collins 2013-02-22, 21:55
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-23, 02:32
Aaron T. Myers 2013-02-23, 02:40
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-24, 00:23
Eli Collins 2013-02-25, 18:24
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-02-25, 20:50
Eli Collins 2013-02-25, 21:16
Chris Douglas 2013-02-25, 21:50
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 00:09
Eli Collins 2013-02-26, 00:39
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 17:33
Eli Collins 2013-02-26, 19:24
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-26, 19:35
Eli Collins 2013-02-26, 21:51
Chris Douglas 2013-02-27, 00:52
Suresh Srinivas 2013-02-27, 01:09
Colin McCabe 2013-03-05, 20:24
Suresh Srinivas 2013-03-05, 21:09
Tsz Wo Sze 2013-03-05, 23:08
sanjay Radia 2013-02-27, 19:45
Eli Collins 2013-02-27, 20:06
+
Colin McCabe 2013-02-27, 23:28
+
Eli Collins 2013-02-27, 23:42
+
Chris Douglas 2013-02-27, 23:29
Re: VOTE: HDFS-347 merge
Eli Collins 2013-02-25, 22:01
On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Chris Douglas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM, Eli Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I think we need a transition period when any kinks are worked out of
>> 347 but I don't think we need one alpha/beta release where both
>> mechanisms are supported (because 2246 was just a short term solution
>> rather than a long term commitment).  Ideally we'd get 347 in branch-2
>> for 2.0.4-beta and have that release to address issues that come up to
>> fix for GA.  Cloudera is actively testing 347 and parts of the
>> community are eager to pick it up so I think that would work out
>> timing wise.  Reasonable?
>
> ATM's suggestion of removing HDFS-2246 in trunk, but not branch-2, is
> a rational compromise: it allows some period for others to adapt, but
> not an indefinite one. It's not clear what you're proposing, if
> anything.

I'm not proposing anything new, Nicholas said he had some concerns
with ATM's proposal and we're discussing them.

Specifically, ATM's proposal does not allow for a single release that
contains both 347 and 2246 (he proposes removing 2246 from branch-2
when 347 is ready). I think Nicholas was saying that we should not
remove 2246 immediately for the sake of a transition period (which I
interpret to mean a release that supports both), I responded saying
that the transition that we'd have in ATM's proposal (people adjust on
trunk and there's some branch-2 release that flips over) is sufficient
given that 2246 was intended as a short term thing.  Curious if
Nicholas and others think that's reasonable.

Thanks,
Eli

> Nicholas/Suresh: have you had a chance to review HDFS-347, yet? -C
>
>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM, Tsz Wo Sze <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I agree that HDFS-2246 is a short term solution and we should not keep it there forever.  However, we still need a transition period to replace an old mechanism by a new one.  No?
>>>
>>> Tsz-Wo
>>>

>>> ________________________________

>>> Eli
+