Hadoop >> mail # general >> Announcing the first San Francisco Hadoop meetup -- Jan 12, 2011

Announcing the first San Francisco Hadoop meetup -- Jan 12, 2011
Hadoop fans,

Earlier in the month I proposed a San Francisco-based Hadoop meetup.
We are pleased to announce that we will be holding this event on
Wednesday, January 12, 2011 from 6pm to 8pm.

Rapleaf has graciously offered to host the event in their SF office at
3rd and Mission (667 Mission St., 4th Floor). We are also thankful to
Cloudera, who will be helping to sponsor the event.

As mentioned in the initial proposal, the format of this event will be
different than the presentation-based HUG; there will not be prepared
lectures. Instead, all participants are asked to discuss their usage
of, or questions about Hadoop.  Please come prepared to introduce
yourself and provide a one--two minute summary of what you're working
on with Hadoop, areas you're interested in learning more about, and/or
challenges that you're facing that might be addressed by a larger
Hadoop community. All are welcome (developers, users, or managers;
experienced or newbies).

Based on the common themes that arise, we will break into smaller
groups to discuss these in greater depth. Several experienced
Hadoopers will be on hand to help moderate small group discussions.

Agenda:
6pm - Socializing
6:30pm - Introductions, overview
7pm - Breakout sessions begin
8pm - Conclusion

I hope to see many of you there! The space available has a limit of 40
participants; please RSVP at
http://www.meetup.com/hadoopsf/calendar/15601471/. The meeting
invitation is hosted at http://www.meetup.com/hadoopsf -- please sign
up for this meetup group to get information about future meetups.
Based on the success of the initial event, we hope to hold more of
these in the future.

Regards,
- Aaron Kimball