Pig >> mail # dev >> Number of mappers in MRCompiler

+
Prasanth J 2012-07-25, 22:47
+
Alan Gates 2012-07-25, 22:49
+
Prasanth J 2012-07-25, 23:28
+
Alan Gates 2012-08-23, 22:20
Re: Number of mappers in MRCompiler
I see. Thanks Alan for your reply.
Also one more question that I posted earlier was

I used RandomSampleLoader and specified a sample size of 100. The number of map tasks that are executed is 110. So I am expecting total samples that are received on the reducer to be 110*100 = 11000 but its always more than the expected value. The actual received tuples is between 14000 to 15000. I am not sure if its a bug or if I am missing something. Is it an expected behavior?

Thanks
-- Prasanth

On Aug 23, 2012, at 6:20 PM, Alan Gates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sorry for the very slow response, but here it is, hopefully better late than never.
>
> On Jul 25, 2012, at 4:28 PM, Prasanth J wrote:
>
>> Thanks Alan.
>> The requirement for me is that I want to load N number of samples based on the input file size and perform naive cube computation to determine the large groups that will not fit in reducer's memory. I need to know the exact number of samples for calculating the partition factor for large groups.
>> Currently I am using RandomSampleLoader to load 1000 tuples from each mapper. Without knowing the number of mappers I will not be able to find the exact number of samples loaded. Also RandomSampleLoader doesn't attach any special marker (as in PoissonSampleLoader) tuples which tells the number of samples loaded.
>> Is there any other way to know the exact number of samples loaded?
> Not that I know of.
>

>> By analyzing the MR plans of order-by and skewed-join, it seems like the entire dataset is copied to a temp file and then SampleLoaders use the temp file to load samples. Is there any specific reason for this redundant copy? Is it because SampleLoaders can only use pig's internal i/o format?
> Partly, but also because it allows any operators that need to run before the sample (like project or filter) to be placed in the pipeline.
>
> Alan.

+
Dmitriy Ryaboy 2012-08-24, 03:20
+