Hadoop >> mail # dev >> [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack

Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Hi Doug,
I didn't read your email until this morning, but I spent time overnight
thinking about the Apache Way and reached similar conclusions.  While
tooling is broader in scope than a single code change, it is a technical
choice that we all have to live with.

More importantly, "Community over Code" would suggest that if only slightly
less than 50% of the community is uncomfortable with adding Python to the
mix which is the Hadoop stack, then we probably shouldn't do it, regardless
of the technical merits.

Therefore, I withdraw the question.

We will search for other means of cleaning up the shellscript problem and
making all functionality work with parity in the Windows world.  I am quite
partial to Allen Wittenauer's suggestion in
HADOOP-9082<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9082?focusedCommentId=13507163&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13507163>
that
the scripts should be greatly simplified before dealing with the
cross-platform question.  It is in many respects silly to have so much
functionality "on the side" instead of dealing with it forthrightly in core
code.  In that spirit, I am also -1 on burying the same complexity in maven
plug-ins, which after all just adds another couple layers of complexity,
and limits the number of people who understand it, as well.

Thanks to all who voted and contributed to the discussion.
Best regards,
--Matt