Hadoop >> mail # user >> Good idea to run NameNode and JobTracker on same machine?

Re: Good idea to run NameNode and JobTracker on same machine?
The real kicker is going to be memory consumption of one or both of these
services. The NN in particular uses a large amount of RAM to store the
filesystem image. I think that those who are suggesting a breakeven point of
<= 10 nodes are lowballing. In practice, unless your machines are really
thin on the RAM (e.g., 2--4 GB), I haven't seen any cases where these
services need to be separated below the 20-node mark; I've also seen several
clusters of 40 nodes running fine with these services colocated. It depends
on how many files are in HDFS and how frequently you're submitting a lot of
concurrent jobs to MapReduce.

If you're setting up a production environment that you plan to expand,
however, as a best practice you should configure the master node to have two
hostnames (e.g., "nn" and "jt") so that you can have separate hostnames in
fs.default.name and mapred.job.tracker; when the day comes that these
services are placed on different nodes, you'll then be able to just move one
of the hostnames over and not need to reconfigure all 20--40 other nodes.

- Aaron