Kafka >> mail # dev >> Integration with AMQP

Re: Integration with AMQP
I'm not exactly sure about why talking the same at the wire level is an
explicit goal; if raw blazing speed is also equally important.

Removing the wireformat from Kafka could be done through abstraction; but
that would incur reinterpretation  costs(talking native Kafka) and take a
performance hit.

I could make a similar argument over the second goal as well. It is not
apparent that solving ALL problems through abstraction and then universally
accepting a performance hit is that ideal. It may make purchasing/acquiring
easier; but by adhering to the lowest common denominator.

Wouldn't it be better to make explicit tradeoffs for one-offs based on
specific needs? i.e. if your architecture doesnt require zookeeper in Kafka
for coordination, reduce the complexity. Don't force complexity in all
cases.

In other words, Kafka is different enough from other messaging systems that
to enforce a common contract (aka amqp) ,without incurring a significant
performance hit, would be very challenging.