Pig >> mail # dev >> Pig 0.10.1 to Pig 0.11.1 API compatibility break

+
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren 2013-04-18, 09:23
Re: Pig 0.10.1 to Pig 0.11.1 API compatibility break
Hi Gerrit, we do try to keep backwards incompatible changes to a minimum, but sometimes they are needed to make progress. How about we make a practice of tagging notifications about new pig release candidates with [RC] so you can set up your filters and get a heads up to try your software with the latest release candidate? That will at least let you prepare for changes before a release is made, or perhaps argue that we should revert something that is backwards incompatible.

On Apr 18, 2013, at 2:23 AM, Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the developer of http://gerritjvv.github.io/glue/ that uses the Pig API
> directly to launch pig jobs in separate JVM instances.
>
> Recently I've updated to use pig-0.11.1 and found two API compatibility
> breaks.
>
> PigServer.parseExecType does not exist anymore, (was a static method up to
> pig-0.10.1)
>
> New method for PigProgressNotificationListener
>
> public void initialPlanNotification(String scriptId, MROperPlan plan)
>
> It would be nice if you guys (when possible) could lookout for these kind
> of breaks in the future.
>
> Thanks,
> Gerrit
+
Bill Graham 2013-04-19, 07:29
+
Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren 2013-04-19, 09:36
+
Russell Jurney 2013-04-19, 07:52