Pig, mail # user - explode operation

explode operation
Stan Rosenberg 2012-01-26, 03:11
Hi Guys,

I came across a use case that seems to require an 'explode' operation
which to my knowledge is not currently available.
That is, given a tuple (x,y,z), 'explode' would generate the tuples
(x), (y), (z).

E.g., consider a relation that contains an arbitrary number of
different identifier columns, say,
social security id, student id, etc.  We want to compute the set of
all distinct identifiers.  Assume that the number of identifier
columns is large and intermingled with other
columns that should be projected out; this is to avoid a solution
using 'SPLIT', e.g.

To be concrete, if X = {(..., 2, 4, ..., 3), (..., 2,,...,5)} is such
a relation, then the answer we want is
Y={2,3,4,5}.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,