I'd certainly like to understand the fundamental problem you're seeing of
why any server is unable to enter quorum for any period of time without
being partitioned, etc. Is there a ticket open for this or do you think
it's just part of your env somehow?

As for the larger question, why not run the check on a regular timing and
fail if it isn't in quorum for more than N checks? We could add a 4lw but
it seems like you should be able to figure this out in other ways.